Monday, November 12, 2007

Introduction

Hi, I'm Dr Michael Kane. I am a chiropractic physician who primarily treats musculoskeletal conditions. I do, however, believe strongly that the structure of the body can and often will affect it's overall function. I also have a special interest in policy trends relating to natural health treatment options...what others have commonly referred to as "alternative health care."

As I am sure everyone knows we are entering into an era of great cultural shift in the American health care landscape. With the '08 Presidential elections around the corner we can expect health care reform to be a major topic among all candidates. The winner of this election gets to run their plan through a Congress that is completely controlled and choked off by health care lobbying groups regardless of which party holds the power. That part will be interesting.


So as I listen to what people are saying I'm really not sure why they're calling it health "care" reform? My experience is that Americans really are asking for health "insurance" reform. People don't seem to be having as much difficulty with the care being provided as they do with ever-increasing treatment restrictions coupled with rising insurance premiums, deductibles, and co-pays. Considering doctors fees are dropping steadily one must ask "where's the money?" At the same time doctors across all disciplines must face reality and carve out the unnecessary waste. Those that perform with better outcomes by getting people well faster and for less overall cost should be promoted and rewarded.

So I figure we need to talk about these things. There are natural treatment options out there for common conditions that work faster, better and safer. Most of the time they are also less expensive. Natural health care can be a bigger part of the solution than we've been given credit. Alternative treatments that withstand evidence based scrutiny and years of "in the field" success should be part of the upcoming national conversation. We are about to engage in a captivating public dialogue about how care is delivered and paid for in this country. I hope this space allows myself, my colleagues, people in the industry, and most importantly the general public an opportunity to share some wisdom in both of these areas. Your comments are not only welcome but strongly encouraged.

No comments: